What you see here is Animal Magnet's sweater-in-progress, come to a screeching halt. (This is what happens when you get cocky.) I was knitting this raglan design in the round. I love knitting in the round, but when I decided to add a lizard motif (that I charted myself), I realized traditional intarsia wouldn't work because the floats on the wrong side would be way too long. That little green spot is the result of not knowing how wrong intarsia was at first.
So duplicate stitch seemed the answer. Except that after one solid hour of
needlework hell duplicate stitching, all I had to show for it was a lizard head, which could've doubled as a science project or other ambiguous object, depending on how you looked at it. That green spot you see was the beginning of a lizard hand. Don't feel bad if it doesn't look like a lizard hand to you. It only appears to be a lizard hand to that drunk guy at the end of the bar (and he probably sees two).
I ripped out all the duplicate stitching I'd done (note to self: all the French curse words you learned in high school come back to you in the queerest ways), but am stuck with this green
blob hand that can't be ripped without leaving a hole. (2nd note to self: when trying to fix knitting dilemmas, 1 drink is O.K.; 2 drinks kind of gets us back to square one.)
At this point, I have 2 options. #1 is to rip back to below the green
blob hand--and while I'm at it, say screw the lizard. As a matter of fact, SCREW ALL LIZARDS. Blasted reptiles. #2 is to rip the whole thing out & knit it flat, therefore making an intarsia lizard possible. If I can even stomach thinking about or looking at lizards in the near future.